Museums are no longer the stuffy, boring venues they used to be – now, so many of them are bright and inviting for families – so much so that it’s easy to forget they are actually museums. Birmingham is home to some fantastic museums that are a great destination for a family outing.
‘BMAG’ has a HEAP of family friendly activities for the whole family, including:
• Home of the ‘Mini Museum’ for children aged 5 and under, which has a puppet theatre, dressing-up clothes, storytelling area and interactive activities.
• The museum has free family trails and family packs to help enchance your visit.
• Run various family events throughout the year.
• Open daily and free entry.
ThinkTank is Birmingham’s very own science museum. You’ll find a range of family-friendly activities such as:
• The Science Garden – ThinkTanks’s outdoor discovery zone full of surprises and fun activities for kids and parents alike. With over 30 hands-on and interactive exhibits, it brings engineering, mechanics and transport to life through adventure and fun.
• Kids City – a mini city in which the whole family can learn together through play. Explore the Street and discover the science behind the ins and outs of everyday life, plus find new ways to recycle.
• Kids Park – this isn’t just any old park! ThinkTank’s Kids Park has been specifically designed with children under 7 and their parents in mind to get them exploring science through outdoors fun.
• Family activities and shows – for more information, read on here.
I know what you’re thinking – “Cadbury World isn’t a museum!” Well, by definition, it is! Cadbury World is home to a number of historical and cultural exhibits and objects, including:
• Bull Street experience, a full scale replica of the street in which the first Cadbury shop was opened.
• Bournville Village, where you can learn about the origins of the Cadbury business.
• The Cadbury Story as told by John Cadbury.
• Journey back in time and discover how chocolate made its way to Europe.
• Learn about the process of manufacturing.
• For more about Cadbury World, read on here.